Monday, February 16, 2009

Father Teds

Feeling very hungry last night and wanting fish and chips I wandered into an Irish pub just up the street from where I am staying. I sat down at the bar and what did I see(gasp!)? Nothing more and nothing less then a tap labeled Kilkenny Irish Red. It was everything that I remembered and it definitely lived up to my expectations. It was a wonderful night. Don't worry, the first toast went to Lon Fendall. I sat down to watch the rugby match and then had my fish and chips. In the middle of the second rugby match a couple came in and sat accross from me. They were Irish who had been travelling for almost a year now. Soon after that two men started playing Irish folk tunes and cover songs. One guy played a guitar and the other a drum, or penny whistle. Hands down, these guys were really good, and entertaining too. For some reason there seemed to be a large crowd of Irish in the bar that night, so before long everyone was clapping, shouting, and singing along. The couple that sat down with me were a lot of fun, and we switched from Kilkenny to Magners which was great because I hadnt had either of those since I was last in Ireland. While the band took breaks other pub goers would grab one of their guitars and play a Flight of the Concords song, an original tune, or just jam for a bit. It was the most fun I have had so far, and I hope there are more nights like it throughout the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment