Saturday, February 14, 2009

Arrived Auckland

Well, the fourteen hour layover in Tahiti was supposed to be an exciting little side adventure. Instead it turned into one of the longest airport experiences I have ever had. Unfortunately Air Tahiti Nui didn't check through my bags onto my New Zealand flight. I wanted to take a cab into the city for a quick bite and maybe some views of the beaches. Not so. I ended up finishing my book and sleeping on a bench. There was no exchange banks at the airport so I couldn't get some francs, but its probably a good thing because things were freakin expensive! Then again its tourism does cater to the high rollers.
Today was spent walking around the city and I went to the Maritime Museum. I haven't spent so much time by myself in awhile, which sucks, but then again I meet people too. I share a room with a great couple from Denmark who speak English. There are a ton of travellers in the city, but surprisingly enough I don't hear much English around. When I do get kinda down, being by myself, it doesn't last long because, I mean, come on, I'm in New Zealand!
Tomorrow, it will be a quick breakfast and then a thirty minute ferry ride to Rangitoto Island in the Auckland harbor for an hour walk up a small volcano. Then back to the city for a bus tour, the national museum, and the national art gallery.
Auckland is NZ too, but really I can't wait to get outside the city and into the countryside. I came here for the landscape, and honestly Auckland doesn't have that much to offer, not for me anyway. When I arrived last night it was Valentines day so the streets and clubs were packed. I am hoping for a quiet dinner (fish and chips) and a few beers tonight at a small pub away from the city center. There are some perks to staying at a hostel in the thick of it, but if I'm here again I will probably stay in Ponsonby, a quiet inner city suburb.
I think the next stop will be an overnight at the Bay of Islands and then south to Taupo where I can do day trips to the Waitomo caves and then on to Tongariro and Waikaremoana for some serious backpacking.

Side note: I am listening to a Portland radio station online right now. It's kinda weirding me out. Josh did you know that New Zealand per capita has more TOOL fans than any country in the world? The guy I met in Tahiti was a big fan and apparently TOOL did regular tours here for awhile. This place feels more and more like home....

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you get some time to bum around the North Island. NZ is a cool, good, place. And it just gets better the further south you go.

    ReplyDelete